Stone County

Stone County

A Timeline of Stone County
1805 Choctaws ceded land to U.S and it became part of the Mississippi Territory
1817 Mississippi became a state and Stone County area part of Jackson County
1830 First settlers came to this area
1841 Stone county area included in land taken from Jackson County to form Harrison County
1880 Perkinston, oldest settlement in Stone County, homesteaded by a Mr. Perkins.
1883 McHenry, located near county's southern border, settled by Dr. George McHenry.
1886 Madison Hatten homesteaded 160 acres in what was then north central Harrison County. A village established named Niles City.
1894 First store opened by Milton Robertson.
1896 Gulf & Ship Island Railroad line from Gulfport to Hattiesburg
1902 One of south's largest paper mills, Finkbine Lumber Co., built at Wiggins
1911 Harrison County Agricultural High School established at Perkinston
1912 Finkbine Lumber Co and Mississippi Farms Co. started a pickle factory
1916 Stone county officially organized on May 10 as Mississippi's 81st county
1918 Stone County Court House completed (cost $29,515.18 and still in use today.)
1999 Stone County Economic Development Partnership (SCEDP) is organized under the general laws of Mississippi as a not-for-profit corporation as authorized by Senate Bill 3072, Mississippi Legislature

 

Type of Census
Year
Residents
First Town Census of Wiggins
1910
980
Stone County Census
1920
6,528
Stone County Census
1930
5,704
Stone County Census
1940
6,155
Stone County Census
1950
6,264
Stone County Census
1960
7,013
Stone County Census
1970
8,101
Stone County Census
1980
9,747
Stone County Census
1990
10,750
Stone County Census
2000
13,622
   
 
419 S. Vardaman St., Wiggins, MS  39577
P. O. Box 569, Wiggins, MS  39577
601.928.5418 o   601.928.6469 f
Email: SCEDP
 
Copyright 2009 - Stone County Economic Development Partnership
Site Design: JKeithLee.com